Do you want to help the S-Oases database growth? Here you can help us. We need to complement our database with location of oases around the world. If you know the name of an oasis and you can locate it in the map, you can help us to make the map bigger. A photo contest is now launched and now you can win one of the following books:
- ‘The Complete Birds of the World: Every Species Illustrated’
- ‘The Photographer’s Eye Remastered 10th Anniversary: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photographs’
- ‘The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate’
What do you need to do? You need to provide the location of an oasis, the name of the oasis and a photograph among the following three categories:
- Oases landscape photography: General photos of oases will be accepted in this category. If know, you can provide the name of one common species in the photographed oasis, so you also will collaborate with the ‘Global Vegetation Project’ http://gveg.wyobiodiversity.org.
- Biodiversity in/of oases: Photos of identified plant or animal species can be submitted into this category. You need to provide a scientific or a common name of a plant or animal species with the name of the oasis and the location. Participating in this category you will also collaborate with ‘iNaturalist’ https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/s-oases-biodiversity-in-of-oases.
- Human uses in/of oases: In this category, photographs of human uses in oases, likeagriculture, will be awarded.
Three books will be awarded in each category to the best photographs.
When can you submit your photos?
You can upload your oasis photographs until 31 December 2022. In January, three winners will be chosen in every category by a scientific jury. Photo entries will be judged based on creativity, quality, originality and novelty of the oasis.
What do you need to know?
Authorization for publishing the photograph on the web and in the Senckenberg museum is required from each entrant to the contest for the entry to be valid. You retain your rights to your photograph; however, by entering the contest, you grant the Senckenberg museum
(and those authorized by the Senckenberg) a royalty-free, world-wide, perpetual, nonexclusive license to publicly display, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works of the entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or later developed, for any purpose, including, but not limited to, advertising and promotion of the magazine and its website, exhibition, and commercial products, including but not limited to Senckenberg museum
publications. Any photograph reproduced will include a photographer credit as feasible. The Senckenberg Institution will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such uses. Also, depending on the category, the ‘Global Vegetation Project’ or ‘iNaturalist’ will also have authorization for publishing the photograph on their webs.
For a photo in which a person is recognizable, you must be prepared to provide a model release from the subject or, in the case of a minor, the subject’s parent or guardian.
There is not requirement of when the photograph have been made.
Photos that violate or infringe upon another person’s rights, including but not limited to copyright, are not eligible.
Photos that contain sexually explicit, nude, obscene, violent or other objectionable or inappropriate content, as determined by the Senckenberg in its sole discretion, are ineligible for all categories of this contest
Please add your submission to the map below with the + button on the top right. Please make sure to add your e-mail address to the description so we can contact you in case you win the contest.